Ideal long-term contract position for a hands-on marketer who loves to dig in and run with all aspects of book marketing. Flexible hours, great team, meaningful niche portfolio.
JOB POSTING: Marketer
Full-time Contract Position
Award-winning independent publisher Elva Resa Publishing is seeking an experienced marketer to execute book and company marketing and marketing communications programs. This is a full-time contract position with flexible hours working with a virtual team.
Elva Resa’s mission is to make a positive difference in people’s lives. We specialize in resources about military family life.
We are looking for a team member who will bring exceptional book marketing skills and experience to grow our business and support our company mission.
PROJECTS and RESPONSIBILITIES include:
Develop and manage the overall marketing plan, promotional calendar, and implementation plan to include strategies and tactics across the portfolio and all channels.
- Create and maintain customer profiles and targeted direct response lists.
- Profile sales opportunities and key messaging by channel and customer type.
- Develop 18-month pre/post publication marketing plans for individual book launches.
- Develop portfolio marketing and backlist promotional strategy to extend book lifecycle.
- Create promotional calendar for military family life resources portfolio.
- Define and set up appropriate metrics reports to measure results of marketing goals.
- Schedule campaigns and seasonal marketing to coordinate with editorial calendars, publication schedules, and government- and trade-buying cycles.
- Regularly update colleagues on plans, processes, metrics, and overall marketing program.
> MARKETING EXECUTION
Conceive, develop, and execute revenue-generating and brand-building integrated marketing, advertising, promotional, and publicity campaigns across all channels and products, with clear goals and metrics, delivered on time and within budget.
- Work collaboratively with team members, authors, and partners.
- Maintain strong positioning of Elva Resa’s resources in customer-facing markets through creative application of metadata, keywords, book descriptions, excerpts, cross-platform promotions, advertising, in-store coop marketing, displays, and other tactics.
- Manage product mix, pricing, and promotion of direct online sales.
- Optimize Amazon marketing and advertising campaigns.
- Execute unique and effective cross-platform and multiple-format book launch campaigns.
- Manage sales and distribution marketing activities and schedule in coordination with distributor and buyers.
> MEDIA RELATIONS
Increase relevant media coverage of our books, authors, illustrators, and programs.
- Make trade announcements and related ad/publicity placements.
- Write effective media pitches based on key messages, author expertise, and current events tie-ins. Collaborate with media on stories/coverage.
- Administer e-galley ARC review process, bookstore advance programs, and other prepublication activities.
- Cultivate strong relationships with trade media, category bloggers, and military lifestyle media.
- Support author publicity campaigns and events.
> BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
Strategically develop revenue opportunities by expanding existing or creating new sales, distribution, partner, or customer segments and by leveraging content with creative portfolio extensions.
- Segment channels and identify key priority sales opportunities.
- Support distributor and reseller programs.
- Search and respond to government bids.
- Support team in order fulfillment as necessary.
- Attend select events, conferences, and trade shows.
- Drive consistent, relevant traffic and leads from social media networks.
- Creatively pursue custom editions, premium sales, ancillary products, and other business opportunities that align and support customer and partner programs and Elva Resa’s mission.
Define, track, analyze, and integrate marketing metrics to measure effectiveness and maximize results.
- Define metrics and measure results for each campaign.
- Review analytics, leads, engagement, sales, and other reports based on marketing goals.
- Adapt programs based on metrics and lessons learned from each campaign.
> MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS MATERIALS
Collaborate with colleagues to create and maintain brand-building marketing communications materials.
- Accurately and effectively communicate product features and benefits.
- Build brand awareness and customer rapport by demonstrating ways in which Elva Resa achieves its mission to make a positive difference in people’s lives and by sharing best practices among customers and partners.
- Write copy and direct creative for seasonal magalog, catalogs, promotional flyers, and sales sheets; print and online ads; online press kits, social media, and web graphics; and other sales and marketing collateral.
- Actively manage book detail pages in all wholesaler and reseller databases and online stores, including Amazon detail pages.
- Proactively and effectively use metadata and keywords to increase visibility and search results of each product.
- Create publicity materials, such as press releases, author profiles, and online press kits.
- Actively manage Elva Resa’s social media profiles and presence. Coordinate with editor to create relevant social media posts and engagement that supports Elva Resa’s brand and social media strategy.
- Develop multimedia materials, including videos and trailers.
- Contribute content to customer, partner, and author e-newsletters.
- Leverage Elva Resa’s family of websites and online store to promote and communicate brand messaging, product portfolio, and author expertise.
> RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
Create and nurture an active community of loyal customers, partners, supporters, and advocates.
- Develop and implement customer acquisition and retention strategies to cost effectively increase and sustain ongoing sales.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with key partners in the military community and publishing industry.
- Creatively support customer and partner programs.
- Regularly engage and communicate via phone, mail, email, social media, and in person events.
- Manage active author marketing program.
REQUIRED SKILLS and EXPERIENCE
Our ideal marketer has exceptional skills and experience creating and executing effective book marketing programs that increase sales and exposure while enhancing company branding.
- Minimum five years of hands-on experience in marketing or marketing communications within the book publishing industry.
- Experience developing and implementing results-oriented book marketing campaigns.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Positive, professional relationships with colleagues, customers, authors, media, vendors, and other trade professionals.
- Understanding of book promotion opportunities and requirements, such advance reading copies, trade publication reviews and advertising, ebook channels, and both pre- and post-publication book publicity.
- Direct experience with Amazon positioning and marketing.
- Working knowledge of how keywords and metadata impact Google and Amazon positioning.
- Exceptional skills and experience developing a variety of marketing communications materials.
- Practical experience professionally engaging on social media platforms.
- Experience defining and tracking relevant marketing campaign metrics.
- Balance of innovative idea generation and ability to meet industry standards.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Advanced organization and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines consistently.
- Desire to make a difference for military families. An understanding of what makes the military family lifestyle uniquely challenging and rewarding.
- Trustworthy, ethical, professional.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Self-starter and self-manager who anticipates needs and takes initiative to lead and execute.
- Proficiency in WordPress, Shopify, email campaign managers, social media schedulers.
- Proficiency creating materials using Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign and Photoshop.
- Knowledge and experience with subsidiary rights sales, including book club, TV/film, and foreign rights.
- Strong media and trade relationships.
- Knowledge of military terminology, etiquette and protocol.
- Active and well-rounded professional presence on social media, with a command of each network and their best practices.
- a one-page resume (PDF) summarizing your book marketing experience
- a one- to three-page (PDF) example of a book marketing campaign or program you implemented within the last 12 months; include your goals, approach, and results
- a reference familiar with your work at one of your two most recent positions
- current salary
- start date availability
Include your name, mailing address, email, phone number, and social media handles.
Send to jobs [at] elvaresa.com. In the subject line, please include Marketer – [YourFirstName YourLastName].
Deadline: Interviews will be scheduled with top candidates on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
THANK YOU for your interest in working with Elva Resa to make a positive difference in people’s lives!
ELVA RESA PUBLISHING LLC is an independent publisher based in St. Paul, Minnesota, whose mission is to make a positive difference in people’s lives. Its primary imprint specializes in books for and about military families. ElvaResa.com, MilitaryFamilyBooks.com