JOB POSTING: Graphic Designer
Deadline to Apply: Monday, November 27, 2017
Part-time, 12-Month Contract Position Begins January 2018
Award-winning independent publisher Elva Resa Publishing is seeking a creative, experienced graphic designer for a variety of projects. This is a part-time contract position with flexibility to work remotely or in our Woodbury, Minnesota, editorial office.
Elva Resa’s mission is to make a positive difference in people’s lives. We specialize in books for and about military families.
We are looking for a team member who will bring exceptional creative development skills and ideas as well as competent technical skills and experience using the Adobe Creative Suite to create quality products that support our company mission and branding. Specifically, you will:
- Work collaboratively with the publisher, editor, and marketing team to design from concept through production book covers, book interior layouts, and related marketing communications materials such as catalogs, flyers, sales sheets, advertisements, web banners, web pages, social media graphics, posters, and event collateral.
Our ideal graphic designer has both exceptional creative development skills and excellent technical production skills to create quality products that support our company mission and branding.
- Exceptional skills and experience designing book covers, book interior layouts, and a variety of marketing communications materials.
- Excellent skills using the Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Balance of nontraditional/forward-thinking idea generation and ability to meet industry standards, to create and produce high-quality designs and products that meet the needs of our customers and partners and maintain Elva Resa as a publishing leader in our market.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent and advanced organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to positively contribute to team collaboration.
- Desire to make a positive difference for military families. An understanding of what makes the military family lifestyle uniquely challenging and rewarding.
- Direct experience with military family life. Knowledge of military etiquette and protocol.
- Knowledge and experience using WordPress.
- Excellent skills using Adobe Dreamweaver or similar editor to create design templates for online resources and enewsletters.
Please send a one-page (PDF) resume summarizing your design experience related to the above requirements and a portfolio summary (PDF) following the guidelines below to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please include Graphic Designer – [YourFirstName YourLastName].
Please send a one- to three-page (PDF) summary portfolio, with the following:
- 3 book covers you designed from concept to production
- 3 images that display your interior book design skills
- 3 images that showcase your experience designing marketing materials
- Optional: you may include a brief paragraph or bullet points for each of the above telling us about the project and your role, or pointing out particular skills or design aspects that set you apart from other designers.
Include your name, email, phone number, and website on the portfolio summary.
Deadline to apply: Monday, November 27, 2017. Position begins January 2018.
Applications must be received no later than 5 PM Central on Monday, November 27, 2017.
To be considered, the application must include the one-page resume and one- to three-page portfolio, both attached as PDFs, sent via email per above instructions.
Application review: Our team will review resumes and portfolios the week of Nov 27 and select the top three candidates by Dec 4.
Top candidate interviews: The top three candidates will be asked to interview by phone with our publisher, and will also participate (working remotely) in a brief concept activity during the first two weeks of December that will give both you and our team a sense of what it is like to work with each other.
Selection: We will confirm position details (project descriptions, designer’s preferred work location/ schedule, payment) with our selected candidate before our office closes for the Christmas holidays. Contract position begins the first week in January 2018. This is a part-time, 12-month contract position, with the potential for expanded work and duration with the right designer.
THANK YOU for your interest in working with Elva Resa to make a positive difference in people’s lives!
ELVA RESA PUBLISHING LLC is an independent publisher based in St. Paul, Minnesota, whose mission is to make a positive difference in people’s lives. Its primary imprint specializes in books for and about military families. ElvaResa.com, MilitaryFamilyBooks.com